The Cowboys’ offseason needs changed suddenly Monday afternoon.
Five-time Pro Bowl center Travis Frederick announced he’s retiring at 29.
“This was not an easy decision,” Frederick said in a statement. “I thank the Jones family, the entire Cowboys organization, and my teammates for allowing me to go on this wild ride.”
The Cowboys drafted Frederick 31st overall in 2013. He started every game, and earned a Pro Bowl berth, each season from 2013-17. Frederick missed the entire 2018 season sidelined with Guillain-Barre Syndrome, an autoimmune disease.
He regained his strength enough to return for the 2019 season, again starting every game and going to the Pro Bowl.
But he didn’t feel like he could still play at the level he expected of himself. That’s why he’s retiring, Frederick said.
“It was a difficult year for me. Each day I faced a struggle: I could no longer perform at my highest level. Playing “well” is not what I expect of myself and is not what my teammates deserve. Because of this, I know my days as a football player are done. I am proud of what I have accomplished in my career, and I walk away with my head held high.”
The Cowboys re-signed center/guard Joe Looney last week. Looney started in Frederick’s absence in 2018.
Follow USA TODAY Sports’ Jori Epstein on Twitter @JoriEpstein.
If you love talking football, we have the perfect spot for you. Join our Facebook Group, The Ruling Off the Field, to engage in friendly debate and conversation with fellow football fans and our NFL insiders. Do the right thing, sign up now!